Our Home

Our Home
Bienvenuto! Come on in

Friday, March 15, 2013

Villa D'Este, Tivoli

Well I don't know about you but I'm about Pope'd out right about now.  I'm part Catholic (mother's side hence the 8 siblings) but christened and took communion as an Anglican (High Anglican therefore almost Catholic).  It has been great being in Rome while this historic event is taking place but I must confess - we get our news from North America.  I was thinking of approaching Peter Mansbridge, our CBC anchor, but then I thought - hmmm, what would I say. Likely nothing.  I have no insights on how the voting went, nor it seems, does anybody else that's talking.  That's the way it should be.  I also don't know what the Italians think - I don't know any of them nor do I speak their language.  From appearances, they seem pretty ho hum about it.   It's mostly the tourists that are running around excited.  So far, I'm impressed with Pope Francis though.  Having said all that, I have had a LOT to do with Cardinals and the Catholic faith these past 6 weeks.   I've had chance to visit a LOT of places where former Cardinals and Popes have Rome'd - no pun intended.

One such place is TIVOLI which is located about 28 KMs east of Rome.  Henry and I caught a metro, a local bus and found our way there.  It wasn't a spectacularly beautiful day but at least, not raining.  Our destination was Villa d'Este and Villa Adrianna (Hadrians Villa).  Villa d'Este was commissioned by Cardinal Ippolito il d'Este who was the son of Lucretia Borgia and the grandson of Pope Alexander VI.  You've probably heard of the Borgias and perhaps have seen the excellent BRAVO series, The Borgias.  Turns out Ippolito was disappointed when he wasn't elected Pope so he was appointed governor of Tivoli by the new Pope instead. Henry heard that Ippolito had been banned from Rome.  I can't find anything to support that right now.  Anyway, for whatever reason, Ippolito the Cardinal went to live at Villa d'Este.  I'm not feeling too sorry for him though after seeing the place.  He and subsequent owners have maintained and developed the Villa over the years. Franz Liszt spent time there as a guest of one Cardinal and during that visit composed Giochi d'Acqua a Villa d'Este.  Now this is a water park that rivals any I've seen recently.  There are umpteen fountains ingeniously operating through an underground aquaduct designed by those talented Romans.  I have some wonderful videos which reflect the sounds of cascading water unfortunately I don't know how to download them, so will have to make do with these pictures for now.


Get a load of that ceiling.  Love love love those deep coved ceilings.


The rooms facing the gardens are a long series.  The Villa is secondary to the gardens.  Unfortunately, although still beautiful, I'll have to imagine the gardens once everything is in bloom as it is too early to tell right now.






Look how deep those walls are.
Ha!  Can hardly wait to get home and get at those walls. 





Mosaics, yep all stone mosaics.

This long row of water works - absolutely astounding and beautiful to walk along.





These pools are at the bottom of the garden


Grandaddy of them all

Hmmm...

INGENIOUS...a waterworks handrail.




Well, Villa d'Este is a lovely wonderful place. Thoroughly enjoyed our visit there and chance to get out of the city for a day was lovely.    Hoping this post finds you all well and your (our soon to be) weather improving.  Ciao from Henry and Joanne




No comments:

Post a Comment