Our Home

Our Home
Bienvenuto! Come on in

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Bet you thought we weren't eating...

Some things never change, like us.  Well we have changed a little- we're larger now all the easier to block those "you know who's".  We have not yet had one dinner away from Trattoria Giulia, 179 other than when in Capri, but we have had a few lunches out.  That seems to work best for us.  Let me see, in no particular order:

We were out on the Appian Way to take a look at a church but didn't take in the cataccombes.  As we were wandering about my nose, which works waaaay better than my eyes or ears, smelled (or should that be smelt?) the most delicious smell.  I peeked my head in the door to see that this was a small trattoria and after all, it was lunch time.  They were cooking on a small indoor grill fueled by wood. Selection was limited (i.e. you could have something grilled, or grilled) and the selection included sausage, pork chops or chicken.  We opted for a chicken and a pork chop and split them.  Grilled potatoes topped it off.  But we did have a starter since we had been walking and it was cold outside. 


Now isn't that compact and handy.

This was a mistake. Unfortunately we thought this was just going to be sliced tomato and fromaggio
I know, I know, I've mentioned Elizabeth Minchelli before and you're probably getting tired of her.  But for our money, she's been dead on in her recommendations and what we can expect.  One of her cheapies for Rome was the pasta shop Pastifico which is located right near the Spanish Steps in the ritzy shoppping area of Rome. Believe me, even the dogs are snooty.   Her suggestion was to arrive early and like good soldiers, we did.  We were there about 12:30 (no service before 1:00 p.m) and as is typical in Rome, you line up. 

Here's the deal:   Plate of pasta (choice of one of two sauces), glass (well plastic cup) of wine and water for 4 Euros!

They do not let you stand inside to wait (we asked because it was raining that day) so we were first in line. Aha!  Now obviously a regular and aggressive older lady did manage to push her way in front of us but a local (he was in work attire) told her to get back in the line. Good on him.   This is a very small place.  There are only small stools and a little counter space to sit at.  With much ado they beckoned us in and we all charged forward.  Without a word of a lie there were about 40 people in line when the doors opened at 1:00.... did I mention we were first!



Now I'm guessing many of these are local shop people and must do this on a regular basis.  They're probably thinking "that (*&^% Elizabeth Minchelli or Lonely Planet).  You can tell by the look on their faces.  Took this picture while sitting on my stool.  Yes, I'm one of those agressive old ladies but I only take it so far... I don't butt in I just gloat when I get there first

This is the line up as we left, we'd already eaten and folks were still lined up and eating outside.

This is our food.  We shared a plate of Spaghetti ala Tuna (I liked it) and Penne Aubergine (I liked it too, Henry not so much)... There's our little cups of wine and our bottle of water!  Total cost 8 Euros, experience PRICELESS!



Oh and while we're at it do you remember hearing of Elizabeth Minchelli.  Well also one of her cheapies is Baccala Fritte.  It's just around the corner from us and it is basically Fish!.  Dried salt cod which has been reconstituted and deep fried.   There was also a line up here and we waited awhile for a table.  People are generally pretty good about getting up and going.  Also, there were a lot of people simply lined up for take-out.  This is another value for money find.  Dinner (this was actually dinner and not lunch) including 2 pieces of fish each, puntarelle salad, deep fried zuchinni and a carafe of house wine 36 Euros. 





Henry enjoyed watching this woman on the end at the table next to us.  Someone after my own heart - she was enjoying every last morsel of food. Great crowd.


P.S. the fish tastes great, not too salty.  And hey, we didn't have fries .


When we were in Rome in September 2010 Henry and I went to a restaurant called Hostaria Romana.  I think we found it on Trip Advisor or was it Rick Steves?  In either case we went there and enjoyed it so we went back this time.  Well nothing much has changed, it is still good.  Henry revisited his beloved Spaghetti Carbonara (very good but not yet "the best") and I had Taglettini in Brodie.  My soup was soooo good (yet no better than Henry's) that I was down to the last morsel before we remembered to take a picture. Sorry folks. It's a cozy, comfy place, the service is great and the prices reasonable.  We think we'll take Kim there when she comes.  Last time I distinctly remember having Pesto Pasta and I haven't had any yet so.......







This is another "blast from the past" from our September 2010 trip.  It's called Ristorante Morgana and is located (??? you'll have to ask Henry, we just happened upon it last time but Henry, like a honing pigeon, found it again).  Same Waiter - I recognized him he didn't recognize me, likely because I've put on a little weight!




I had spaghetti Gricio

We shared a plate of Antipasti - how can something so simple taste so delicious.  Those Mediterranean vegs I love (peppers, leeks, fungi, aubergine, zucchini )

Henry had spaghetti Vongole, very good and very tasty like the sea.

Tiramisu - ho hum to me. I never need nor really desire dessert I just eat some to help Henry out.

Well we were out and about and about a block and a half from our place (and just around the corner from Sora Margherita which I mentioned last time)  is Il Portico.  This was a recommendation of a professor Ernie knows for the best Spagetti Carbonara in Rome.   We were a little disappointed overall.  It must have succumbed to the touristy trade. It didn't feel Italian. The Carbonara was not creamy as it should be (the eggs had cooked) and the pasta was dry.  I had Osso Bucco... you may be able to see it in the tomato sauce.   Oh well, everything is a learning experience....






Well time is flying as usual.  We've seem most of what we wanted to see and are now taking it easy and  waiting for the sun.  You know there is something in Rome that we do not find in Vancouver.... CUMULOUS clouds.  They're the big white HAPPY CLOUDS without which most of the art in Rome couldn't have been created.   Today the sun is shining, my cold is waning... I think I'll go out and take a few pictures... hoping you're all well and the sun is shining on you.... Joanne and Henry

1 comment:

  1. Loving your blog. Feel like I am there. Hugs to you both and to Kimmy.♥

    ReplyDelete