Our Home

Our Home
Bienvenuto! Come on in

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Guess who we ran into in Rome

All I can say is that for somewhat reclusive types, we've run into a lot of familiar faces in Rome.  They're mostly stone-faced and non communicative but Henry knows quite a lot about them.  Let's see, there's Constantine, Augustus, Ceasar.... well the list goes on and on.   They may look like statues but according to their information tags they are "pictures".   Yes, that makes perfect sense because this was long before the age of film to record images.   How nice to have a "picture" created.  All the flaws ... GONE or if not, the photographer.... GONE!  Photoshop's got nothing on these.   Naturally they didn't protest about being photographed by Henry and stood, sat, reclined or held their head high on their shoulders while Henry shot away.  I really don't know if we'll create an album for them (not) and thank God for digital cameras.  Perhaps you'll recognize some of them.  No matter what you feel it is still amazing that these "pictures" have stood the test of time and we have opportunity to marvel at the artistry, perseverance and ingenuity of their creators.  Pardon their state of dress but that was the fashion in those days. Some of their innermost thoughts.


......and now I lay me down to sleep

"What does Roy Rogers say when he takes out the garbage?"
"To the dump, to the dump, to the dump dump dump"

Friends, Romans, Countrymen.... lend me your ears!



I should have eaten at Trattoria Via Giulia, 179
... I did!




..this way or that way


well, let me see now.... 





" You are such a good friend that if we were on a sinking ship together and there was only one life jacket, I'd miss you much and think of you often"


"I always take life with a grain of salt.... and a slice of lemon and shot of Tequila"



"I discovered I scream the same way if being attacked by a great white shark or a piece of seaweed touches my foot"

My head, my head, where is my head?









"Worrying works!  90% of things I worry about never happen"












"I used to be indecisive.  Now I'm not sure"




"A shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room"

I saw a woman wearing a TShirt that said "Guess" on it so I said "Implants?"
























Our collection of pictures of people from the past goes on and on.  Far too many to post but I can assure you've we seen most of them.   Along with the originals there are copies everywhere and just in our neighbourhood there are a number of shops where you can get your own copy of a famous foot, arm, shoulder or head. When in Rome...... well enough for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment